15 November 2010

A to B

As part of my latest project, Artist Book, i am looking at travel and journeys as they have become a very important part of my life, lately. I have written a short piece about how i feel about travelling and what i means to me - i thought i would share it with you!

I find travelling quite a personal thing, but it wasn’t always this way. In the past, I felt that a journey was only about getting from A to B, doesn’t matter how, it’s just a way to get where you need to be, but this is no longer about the past – it’s all about my present and future. I have never really enjoyed travelling, until I really needed to do it. From never having been on a bus on my own, to travelling across London, with a suitcase, to get to my final destination – Southampton, all by myself. But now I have the bug.

There has never been a time in my life where travelling has been more important to me, and my daily life, than it is now. Whether it’s travelling to college, half an hour down the road, or travelling to see my boyfriend, about four hours away, in Southampton. Wherever my journey takes me, I now thoroughly enjoy every second. I have come to be a regular train passenger, and I enjoy every step. I’m quite a city girl, so the hustle and bustle of train stations keeps me excited. Obviously, my favourite journey is to Southampton, as the reward of my journey is the most wanted, needed and most exciting. However, they do say absence makes the heart grow fonder! It is, probably, also the most complex. However, it is split into manageable chunks – Huntingdon to London, Kings Cross – London Kings Cross, Southbound Victoria Line, to Warren Street – Warren Street, Southbound Northern Line, Waterloo – Waterloo to Southampton Central.

Regardless of being an avid train user, my other favourite way of travelling is by car – my car. Despite taking almost a year to learn to drive, consistent putting off of my driving test, due to nerves, I now love to drive. Knowing that it’s all down to me to get myself around, the independence I have always wanted. Preferably on my own, and it usually is (unless going to college), I can listen to my music and go wherever I want to go. However, driving with passengers is just as exciting – now we have the opportunity to get ourselves around, it gives my friends and I the perfect excuse to take adventures to nearby cities and attractions.

Now all my friends, and boyfriend, are off at universities – pretty much all the most important things to me are a journey away. They’re scattered all over the country, from the north to the south, and the only way to keep things the way I want them is to travel all over the place.

Whether it’s by car, train, bus or aeroplane – I have the bug. You could say it’s been forced upon me, but either way, I’m appreciative of this change and I wouldn’t want to change things – not for a while, anyway.

1 comment:

Blogger Template Made By pipdig